Monday, June 14, 2010

I've Arrived!/First Impressions

So I'm finally here in Germany.  It is 1 pm here, plane got in at 9:20 am, and then i had to take 2 trains and a taxi to get to the hotel. 

The plane ride was...enh.  I was on the wing, so couldnt see much out the window [not that there was much to see, it was really cloudy].  I finished my book about 1.5 hours in, and the others were in my suitcase.  My tv also did not work (more on that later). Couldn't manage to fall asleep either, so it was fairly boring.

Since the tv didn't work, the stewardess gave me this card with a website on it that I have to go to to claim my "we're sorry" gift.  I'll check that out later and see what I won =)

The trains here are REALLY nice.  MUCH better than the El, better than the Metra, and better than in Sydney.  They're so nice and shiny =)  Really smooth ride.

 The hotel is pretty nice. Free wifi and breakfast, nice room, and a terrace (which I'm sitting on right now).

A few first impressions:
All the roofs are orange, with the occasional brown
Quite a lot of the billboards are in English
Lots of green/trees/farms

I'm gonna go explore the town; I'll add more later and eventually get some pictures and videos up.

2 comments:

  1. Some other things i noticed:

    Lots more graffiti here
    People must be more trusting--for example, to get a newspaper, you just open the lid, and they expect you to put coins in the slot, but theres nothing making you do so. You can get on and off the train without ever showing the ticket you paid for (no turnstyles like the el). There are cigarette dispensers on the street, so no carding for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie, your mom sent me a copy of your latest 'misadventures' update. And near the bottom was your blog address, and since I also have a blog on Goggle I looked at all your blog. I hope you don't mind. It is pretty interesting. Saves me a trip going to Germany myself. Good luck and have fun.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete