Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Nürnburger and Paul der Krake

8/9.7.10

Not much happening recently...Thursday was just school and then chilling at home.  Friday we ate at the delicious Italian place for lunch again; I had Salami (Pepperoni in America) pizza.  Pepperoni here is peppers.  Its interesting how the name changes.  Later that night we went to a pub in town and just hung out and talked for a while.  After that a few guys really wanted McDonald's, so we went there.  I got chicken nuggets, and when they listed off the sauces that were available, instead of just your normal bbq or honey mustard, they also had curry!! So naturally that's what I got.  It was better than the curry we had in the cafeteria one day, which is good.  There's also a new sandwich in German McDonald's--the Nürnburger.  We read an article about it in class.  Basically, Nürnburg is famous for its little sausages--Rostbratwurst. They are about the size of breakfast sausage links.  We actually had them the other  day in the cafeteria, and they tasted exactly like breakfast sausages.  But I wouldn´t trust the cafeteria to make things like how they actually taste.  The Nürnburger consists of 3 of those little sausages on a ciabatta roll with mustard.  According to the article, most Germans hate the regular burger bun because it´s too squishy, so the Nürnburger bun appeals to that.  I personally haven´t tried it, but one of the other kids did and said it was pretty good. 


10.7.10

So today I didn´t really do a lot, just kinda sat around.  Later though, I went to Emily´s for the game, and we won!! 3rd place!  What´s really awesome is that Paul the octopus (der Krake, auf deutsch) was right again.  He´s correctly predicted all of Germany´s world cup games this year.  Makes me want him to tell my future!  (For those of you who have not heard of Paul, read this: http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/oracle-octopus-gets-death/dinner--fbintl_dw-octopus070810.html  )  Sadly, lots of Germans are mad because he correctly predicted Germany´s defeat in the Spain game, so they want to eat him.  As a result, PETA wants to set him free...where there is less security than in the aquarium...(they actually upped the security on his tank the next day). 


11.7.10

Today is another just sitting around day.  The nice thing about these is that I get to sleep in (til 11:30!  My sleeping-in skills are deteriorating....though it could be the constant yelling of the little kids who wake up at 6:30...).  I might go to München later if I have time, but I have to do some homework first, so I don´t know if I´ll make it before the game [go Netherlands!!].  Not a whole lot going on really...tomorrow we are going to a salt mine, a schnapps distillery, and Hitler´s summer home.  Should be a pretty fun, yet busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment